Friday, January 19, 2007

Rant!

I recently watched five minutes of American Idol, which is the longest exposure I have ever had to the show. This show is appalling. It embodies some of the worst traits of our society, and I personally think that it engenders some particularly troubling behaviors. My objections are as follows:
1. Glamorizing meanness. This is the most insidious aspect of the show, blatantly displayed in the short clip I saw. I'm not sure what qualifies the panel to judge anyone about anything, but supposedly this is a "talent" competition. How, then, are they justified in ridiculing someone's appearance. Clearly, these pampered TV stars don't listen to everyone. Understandably, the best are identified in some pre-screening process then appear on camera. Why do they also single out the worst? This is all calculated to provide fodder for Simon Cowell's barbs. It really worries me that the highest tv ratings are drawn by publicly demoralizing misguided twits. Don't get me wrong- I'm not that concerned about the victims. They must know what they're in for and they probably just want their fifteen minutes. My concern is America's eagerness to watch the carnage. I have similar feelings about the Apprentice (though I've never seen the show) but I would have to dedicate an entire rant to Donald Trump.
2. Celebrating mediocrity. So Simon Cowell mercilessly denigrates the talentless. On the other hand, the show celebrates and grants wealth and success to some who are not that much better, though probably better looking and more versed in appropriate head tilts. I heard a little bit of the two finalists last year and I was surprised that neither of them seemed capable of holding a pitch. That explains the ubiquitous Mariah Carey-esque ornamentation. Jennifer Hudson seems to be legitimately talented, yet she didn't make it far on the show. Maybe people like to push those below them way down to make themselves feel better, and they praise those only slightly above themselves because they can still see themselves achieving the same success.
3. America needs to cut the apron strings. 231 years of independence and we still look to the Brits for approval. All these shows- this one, the dance one, and the broadway one- have the mandatory Mean Brit who is the ultimate authority. How many movies have the scientific or intellectual voice of reason reasoning with a British accent?Enough! There are plenty of stupid English people!
I will not be held responsible for any offensive comments I may have made.

4 comments:

the anna said...

at last a rant!!
i'm so proud and heartily agree.
along the lines of what you were saying about accents, this just occurred to me: remember when we moved to utah and all the people would for some reason try to speak with a southern accent and they just ended up sounding like a bad imitation of british? how silly are we to associate british accents with intelligence and southern "drawl" with ignorance when they are so similar that the lay imitator can't even tell the difference?

the anna said...

and thisbe looks lovely. nice picture.

Sam said...

Amen, sister. It all makes me so uncomfortable.

Unknown said...

Amen and amen to your comments about American Idol and Trump's show. [I just realized that Sam said the same thing.]

I visited your blog previously, but didn't look far enough to see the rant and the new pictures. This blog is obviously written by a very intelligent woman.

If you would like to read my "rant" for the day (or even if you don't want to read): I am sick and tired of listening to people fighting over Anna Nicole Smith's body.